Tuesday, November 22, 2022

FSLogix Containers and ODFC Server Deduplication part 2

 In my first blog post here, Part 1, I showed how to set up Windows Deduplication on Server 2016. This second series will show my production results and what I gained in space-saving.

I estimated 18.5% in savings in the first post. However, I got 23% back. That is good, in my opinion.

I enabled Windows Deduplication on my production File Server Part 1.

Here is the drive space before; windows deduplication was running.


I would often run get-dedupstatus to give me an idea of what I am getting back.


After Deduplication was run on 4TB Drive, as you can see, I got back some good space.


Now I wanted to take it one step further and shrink the VHDXs. (Running it manually this time around.)

Before:

I got back just a tad over 1TB and some change overall. I take that as a win for now. Soon, I will be moving a lot of this to Nutanix files, and then we can see the difference if any of those who use Nutanix AHV and Nutanix Files understand the awesomeness it offers. 


Next-day Checks on February 12, 2021

Let’s check on the Environment and confirm logins are not slower and that the schedule to make sure it’s not set incorrectly. Nothing is running during the day.

My schedule is at 10 pm = Check


I can confirm it’s not running and when the last time it ran is = Check


Monitoring the event log

“Monitoring the event log can also be helpful to understand deduplication events and status. To view deduplication events, in File Explorer, navigate to Applications and Services Logs, click Microsoft, click Windows, and then click Deduplication.”

“If the value LastOptimizationResult = 0x00000000 appears in the Get-DedupStatus |fl Windows PowerShell results, the entire dataset was processed by the previous optimization job.”

Start time:



Finished time:

Citrix VAD (Fslogix) Login times. 1.6 seconds to attached the FSLogix profile.


Checking in ControlUp, and things seem to be as they should before this was enabled. If you don’t have ControlUp, you can use Director. You can use the script as well to achieve some login measurements with just PowerShell.

Link: Analyze logon duration script just got more powerful | Citrix Blogs


As you can see, these are just some built-in tools you can use. There is really no reason why you should not have this setup. Always test things and make sure you understand what it is that it’s doing, so you don’t break things.

Resources:

https://worldofeuc.slack.com/archives/CKBVDG48H/p1610685976025900

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/data-deduplication/understand

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/data-deduplication/advanced-settings

Monitor and Report for Data Deduplication | Microsoft Docs


Cleanup Jobs:
https://dreadysblog.com/2018/08/27/cleanup-unused-fslogix-office-365-containers/

https://hallspalmer.wordpress.com/2019/09/30/delete-inactive-fslogix-profiles-using-powershell/Delete Inactive FSLogix Profiles using PowerShell – hallspalmer_Blog (wordpress.com)


Delete old profiles script:

https://github.com/FSLogix/Invoke-FslShrinkDisk

No comments:

Post a Comment